Bermuda's Cancer Screening Guidelines
Research indicates that only 5% of cancers are hereditary; this means that most cancers occur spontaneously. Research also indicates that healthy lifestyles and regular checkups can prevent many cancers. Exercise your power!
Talk to your doctor about recommended cancer prevention vaccines and screenings:
- Children aged 11 or 12 years should get two Gardasil 9 HPV vaccine shots 6 to 12 months apart. If the two shots are given less than 5 months apart. For detailed recommendation click here.
- Women 21yrs+ to begin regular Pap screening for cervical cancer and to have an annual pelvic exam
- Women 40yrs+ to receive an annual mammogram for breast cancer detection
- Men 40yrs+ to receive annual DRE tests and PSA if indicated to spot early warning signs of prostate cancer
- Men and Women 50yrs+ to begin screening for colorectal cancer