At Bermuda Cancer and Health Centre, we understand that being diagnosed with cancer can turn your world upside down and affect every aspect of your life. That is why we are committed to providing patients with excellent radiation oncology care and support at home in Bermuda close to family and friends.
We can treat 95% of all cancers where radiation a recommended treatment course.
Our radiation therapy unit
At Bermuda Cancer and Health Centre we have a state-of-the-art, purpose built radiation therapy unit staffed by highly qualified and experienced team lead by Dr Chris Fosker. Our clinical affiliation with the #4 ranked US hospital for cancer care Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women’s Cancer Center (DF/BWCC) ensures that our RT unit provides the same level of treatment, care and outcomes at international standards, by using the same treatment systems, software, RT protocols, and quality assurance programmes that are utilised at DF/BWCC.
Benefits of choosing our Centre
Radiation therapy is an important part of treatment for many of our patients. Since each cancer type requires a different approach, your treatment plan will be based on your unique needs and treatment goals.
There are many benefits for choosing to have your radiation therapy at our Centre:
- Advanced radiation technology using a State-of-the-art True Beam™ linear accelerator which delivers: highest radiation dose in shorter sessions; adjustment for tumour motion during treatment; targeted radiation that spares healthy tissue; ability to target even the smallest lesions
- Greater and more timely access to radiation treatment via our state of the art facility and our highly-experienced treatment team
- Ability to continue with everyday life while receiving treatment (working, going to school, raising children, surrounded by your support network and loved ones)
- $0 co-pay regardless of the level (or lack) of health insurance, thanks to corporate & community donations
- Individualised treatment plans developed in collaboration with cancer specific specialists at DF/BWCC
- 360 degree approach to cancer care providing continuous care even after treatment ends (specialised radiation nurses, dieticians, and therapist)
- Extensive patient safety measures, such as RT protocols and quality assurance programmes, such as those utilised at DF/BWCC
Cost of this service
Bermuda Cancer and Health Centre’s radiation therapy treatments are 100% covered by insurance, there is no co-pay. If you are currently uninsured your costs may be covered by our Equal Access Fund, call 236-7035 for more information.
Doctor referrals are required for these appointments. Speak with your physician about choosing Bermuda Cancer and Health Centre.
What is radiation therapy?
Radiation therapy is a highly targeted and highly effective way to destroy cancer cells as a treatment on its own or in combination with surgery and or chemotherapy.
These approaches enable us to tailor a treatment plan that will target your cancer while minimising healthy tissue's exposure to radiation. Our Centre provides the following external beam radiation therapy:
- Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy (IMRT) -- enables radiation to be delivered in customised shape and intensity to more specifically address a tumour's size and thickness, helping to minimise radiation exposure to surrounding healthy tissue.
- Image Guided Radiation Therapy (IGRT) -- used in conjunction with IMRT; has the added advantage of tracking tumour movement during treatment, adjusting accordingly to provide more precise radiation delivery.
Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women’s Cancer Center
Bermuda Cancer and Health Centre has a clinical affiliation with Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women’s Cancer Center (DF/BWCC) for Radiation Therapy.
Every Bermuda Cancer and Health Centre (the Centre) patient in need of radiation therapy receives care based on an individualised treatment plan developed in close collaboration with specialists at Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women’s Cancer Center (DF/BWCC) in Boston. The Centre’s state-of-the-art Radiation Therapy Unit, which opened in 2017, is operated in clinical affiliation with DF/BWCC and was designed and developed with DF/BWCC. The Radiation Therapy Unit uses the same treatment systems, software, radiation therapy protocols, and quality assurance programmes that are utilised at DF/BWCC, ensuring patients receive world-class treatment that incorporates the most current international standards in cancer care.
Within DF/BWCC, there are 12 specialised cancer treatment centres and experts in every type of cancer. Through the Centre’s clinical affiliation with DF/BWCC, patients receiving radiation therapy treatments can be confident that they have access to this expertise without leaving Bermuda. Radiation oncologist and the Centre’s radiation therapy director Dr Chris Fosker and the experienced radiation oncology team at the Radiation Therapy Unit work in conjunction with their DF/BWCC colleagues, remotely and through care delivered on-island, to provide cutting-edge radiation therapy. Through this ongoing affiliation, the Centre’s patients will also have access to the latest advances in radiation treatment.