Search Bar Quick Links
First International Centre to achieve:
LATEST CENTRE NEWS More News
Radiation Therapy Unit's Impact on Local Health Care System
June 2022 Cancer Awareness Dates
Over the past five years, our Radiation Therapy Unit has improved access, outcomes, quality of life and costs to the local health care system.
Are these facts enough to get you to quit and add years to your life?
· There are over 5,000 chemicals in a cigarette and over 70
· Tobacco use is the number one cause of preventable death among Black Americans, claiming 45,000
· Nicotine is the primary agent in regular cigarettes and e-cigarettes, and it is highly addictive. It causes you to crave a smoke and suffer withdrawal symptoms if you ignore the craving.
· Nicotine is a toxic substance. It raises your blood pressure and spikes your adrenaline, which increases your heart rate and the likelihood of having a heart attack.
· 7 in 10 teens are estimated to be exposed to e-cigarette adverts and teen e-cigarette users are also more likely to start smoking tobacco. (source: Union for International Cancer Control [UICC])
· E-cigarettes produce a number of dangerous chemicals including acetaldehyde, acrolein, and formaldehyde. These aldehydes can cause lung disease, as well as cardiovascular (heart) disease. E-cigarettes also contain acrolein, a herbicide primarily used to kill weeds. (source: American Lung Association)
· E-cigarette use better known as vaping is on the rise in North America and here in Bermuda as well, among middle and high school aged youth. It’s important for our government to take a strong regulatory approach to e-cigarettes, particularly to protect youth.
· Scientific data shows that no e-cigarette is safe, and that younger e-cigarette users are at significant risk for lasting respiratory disease. (source: American Lung Association)
· Tobacco products kill more than 8 million people every year. With such a high death rate, tobacco industries must continuously find new consumers to replace the ones that
their products are killing to maintain revenue. (source: Union for International Cancer Control [UICC])
· Tobacco use is the single largest preventable cause of cancer and stopping smoking is one of the best things we can do to reduce our risk of cancer.
· Tobacco does not only harm the smoker – it also harms the environment. For every 300 cigarettes made, one tree is cut down. 6 trillion cigarettes are made each year.
· 24 men and women in 2018 were diagnosed with lung cancer in Bermuda and it is ranked as the 4th most commonly diagnosed cancer in Bermuda? (Source: Bermuda National Tumour Registry 2019)
If any of these facts hit home - what do you do now:
· Talk to your doctor about quitting and taking steps to improving your health today
· Click on the link here for cessation programmes on island, which can help: https://www.cancer.bm/cancer-information/lungsmart-programme/smoking-cessation-programmes
Young E-cigarette Users Suffer from Respiratory Symptoms - https://www.lung.org/blog/young-
What’s Happening with Menthol Cigarettes and How Does it Impact Me? https://www.lung.org/blog/whats-happening-with-menthol-cigarettes
share this story
Bermuda Cancer & Health Centre
Created Jun 30, 2022
Is your child's camp SunSmart accredited?
Help people in our community access life-saving healthcare by making a donation.