You are not currently logged in | Log In

Bermuda Cancer and Health Centre Building

History

We are one of Bermuda's oldest non-profit Charities #070, and are listed as a not for profit by the Friends of Bermuda Community Foundation (EIN: 38-3938349), a public charity that is exempt from Federal income tax under section 501 (c)(3)

The Bermuda Cancer and Health Centre marked its 72nd anniversary in 2017.

  • 2016 launched a capital campaign to raise $10 million and broke ground for the construction of a radiation therapy unit.  This service seeks to serve the approx. 200 patients each year that are referred for radiation treatment but current access is limited for some as treatment is only available overseas at a high cost to our health care system.
  • 2015 (September 17) Bermuda Cancer and Health Centre and Dana-Farber/Brigham and Women’s Cancer Center (DF/BWCC) signed a Memorandum of Understanding to collaborate on the development of a radiotherapy programme in Bermuda.
  • 2014 the charity achieved BNSC Certification by through the Bermuda National Standards Committee demonstrating compliance with internationally recognized standards of practice that they are effectively and efficiently operating.
  • 2013 designated a Breast Imaging Centre of Excellence by the American College of Radiology (ACR) - this encompasses accreditation in Digital Mammography, Stereotactic Breast Biopsy, and Breast Ultrasound.
  • 2012(May) under the direction of Radiologist and Clinical Director Dr. David Green, the Centre launched breast biopsy services.
  • 2011 awarded a three-year term of Gold Accreditation in Mammography by the American College of Radiology (ACR).
  • 2010 The Bermuda Cancer Information Service became a member of the International Cancer Information Services Group (ICISG).
  • 2010 our partnership with the Canadian Cancer Society was forged and the Bermuda Cancer Information System successfully developed. 
  • In 2009 Bermuda Cancer and Health Centre became a member of UICC - Union for International Cancer Control.
  • 2008 (April) began offering the Island's first Digital Mammography exams.  The purchase and installation of the digital mammography equipment, the latest state-of-the-art technology, was made possible through highly successful events such as our annual Breast Cancer Awareness Fun Walk.
  • 2007 (August) the name was formally changed to Bermuda Cancer and Health Centre.
  • 2007 also saw the introduction of the Hereditary Screening Clinic/Genetic Testing at the Centre, partnership between Bermuda Cancer and Health Centre, Partners HealthCare, Massachusetts General Hospital, Bermuda Hospitals Board, and the Health Insurance Association of Bermuda.
  • 2005 the Centre began ultrasound screening.
  • 2004 (Fall) the Centre opened the island's first comprehensive Cancer Resource & Lending Library for patients and their families. The Centre provides a selection of books, videos, and on-line resources.
  • 2004 added Bone Density scans to the diagnostic services offered.  A bone densitometer was purchased with funds raised by annual fundraising events.
  • 2000 (November) the Bermuda TB Cancer and Health Association purchased land to build a new diagnostic imaging and cancer information centre.
  • 1999 The Centre's mammography units were accredited by the Canadian Association of Radiologists, making the Centre the first facility outside of North America to receive and retain this distinction (2007).
  • 1959 the organization adopted the new name of Bermuda Tuberculosis Cancer and Health Association and operated out of a small building on Cedar Avenue in Hamilton.
  • 1955 (June 6) incorporated by Parliament under the Bermuda Tuberculosis and Health Association Act. The association also provided diabetic and ostomy services to the public.
  • 1945 the organization founded - originally formed in to assist patients with tuberculosis.